Friday, August 15, 2008

Tuna Salad

I am living with my parents for a while. My mom is spoiling me rotten, as is my dad.

I mentioned to my mom that I was really craving pasta salad with tuna (I will share the recipe here as soon as I get her to write it down!). Guess what she made me the next night for dinner? It was accompanied by an assortment of wild rice and sourdough bread I had picked up at the bakery, and some grape tomatoes. We are eagerly awaiting the tomatoes my dad has growing on their deck. Some of his plants are close to 6 ft. tall. I hear the salsa calling. And the margherita pizza. And the BLT sandwiches. Yum.

Every night we sit down after work with a glass of wine or a cold beer, some cheese and crackers or whatever else we feel like munching on, watch the news, and talk about the Olympics. We eat, and laugh, and have such a good time together. Our family has always revolved around what food we can create and enjoy together, and I appreciate that comfort and familiarity now more than ever.

There are so many foods that are a tradition for us at specific times, not just at holidays. Food is always a part of our get-togethers. We share recipes and pick at strange ingredients and just enjoy it all. The first thing we do when we get to our parents house is look in the fridge. I don't know why. Maybe because you can always find a hunk of cold pizza to nibble on.

When I visit my sister, I know we will sit down to lots of really good wine, Manchego cheese that she buys special for me, an assortment of crackers, fruit, nuts, and usually some goat cheese with honey smeared on an appropriate accompaniment.

Friday nights are always pizza night, and tonight I will be making it, with homemade crust (okay, I'm using a packaged mix, but I'm making it at home), turkey pepperoni, and whatever other toppings feel good at the moment. I just happen to know that there are three fresh balls of mozzarella hiding in the deli drawer.

Mom and I have also started walking each night after dinner, which is essential considering the fact that her way of showing love and comfort is to keep me well fed. I love her for that. But my jeans do not. We get a chance to talk and vent about men and just be girls together.

I know this transition will be difficult for me, but I also know that I will truly cherish these days that I got to spend with my parents when I was truly old enough to really appreciate them. It's still embarrassing to have to move back in with your parents when you are divorced and a newly single mom, even if it's only for a little while, but I know I am also giving Riley an opportunity to really be with them, and create memories he will have forever.

I haven't believed that things happen for a reason for a while, like I used to, but I can't help but think that maybe they do after the secure feelings and love I have felt just in the last week. I have realized how icky my life has been for quite a while, and I am so glad I woke up and decided to make a change.

No comments: