Tuesday, August 5, 2008

True Love

Today is my parent's wedding anniversary.

They have been married for 47 years.

This year, I am even more amazed at that number.

Growing up I probably didn't realize how good I had it. I complained when I had to do chores, weed the garden, mow the lawn. I didn't understand why sometimes my parents would say no when I wanted to do something. I hated paying for my own car and putting myself through college.

But you know what? They raised me right. They had a huge influence that I didn't realize until I truly grew up and figured out that, even if they didn't always know if they were doing it the right way, they were building me into a strong, proud woman who could get through anything. I can change a tire, manage my money, build furniture, cook a mean meal, and raise my son with the same morals and knowledge that they did. Even though they drive me nuts sometimes and we don't always agree, they have the big stuff figured out.

Honesty, pride, loyalty, and love.

I think of all the trials I went through in my own marriage and I honestly don't know how they've made it. Raising three kids, building two houses, surgeries, bills, ups and downs. I guess if I had stuck by what they taught me I might not have been so unhappy, and I would have found my way out of a bad marriage much sooner than I did.

They still love each other very much. I imagine more than they did in 1961 when they walked down the aisle at 19 and had no clue what their lives would hold.



So today this post is dedicated to Dave and Diane. I hope someday I can find the love that you have, and hold tight to it for just as long.

No comments: