Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wee Baby Melons

I'm not sure if I've ever encountered anything this cute while gardening. 


A baby watermelon.  When they are done growing they should be just big enough to enjoy all by yourself.  At least that's what the catalog told me.

Baby peppers...these will be yellow when mature, and will be yummy dipped in ranch dressing.  I planted them on my patio this year to save them from the deer knocking them off their vines out in the garden, JUST when they were ready to pick.


My garden is thriving just enough this year to produce enough for me and Riley, with a weekly trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house to furnish them with fresh veggies and flowers.  With our early Spring, and really hot weather, a lot of my usual bumper crop items didn't come up as well as they normally do.  But that's okay, it means a little less weeding.  I did however get beets to grow this year, and the carrots have arrived earlier than normal.  Part of the joy in gardening is seeing how things perform differently from year to year.  It's certainly a lesson in patience and determination.

This year I splurged and bought myself a garden cart with giant tires, a tractor seat for resting on while weeding and picking, and a handle for pulling it around.  It saves me a ton of aches and pains.  And it's red.


Off to read my canning books!

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Gardening certainly IS a lesson in patience and determination. And, You are quite the gardening gal. I'm very impressed! Love the garden cart!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks like you have quite the bounty! And yes, that baby cantaloupe is literally the cutest thing ever.