Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It Just Figures

I didn't want to do it.  I knew it would be a TON of work.  I encouraged my sister not to do it too.  But now I'm doing it.

Starting plants from seed can really be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be.  Over the years I have made some feeble attempts at starting trays of tomatoes and peppers and wildflowers, only to see them grow too fast and get spindly, or be left out in a sudden and completely unexpected snow storm as I was attempting to harden them off.  Last year I did have some success with a few things, but the inevitable frost took most of what I had labored so hard to produce fruit.  I was SO close.

This year after much deliberation, and much complaining over prices of vegetables in the grocery store, I decided to bite the bullet and establish a good growing system that I could use year after year.  I already had some metal shelving that would work perfectly for holding my seed trays, now all I needed was the appropriate lighting and temperature control.  I ordered two sets of grow lights with special T5 bulbs from Amazon.com, and they came equipped with frames and adjustable pullies for adjusting the light levels as my plants grow.  The seeds I ordered from catalogs have all arrived, and a few more packets I picked up at local stores are ready to be planted. 

I've found much useful information about gardening from the University of Minnesota extension website, as well as information on becoming a Master Gardener, if I ever find an extra 10-20 hours in my day.  For now I'm just gonna stick with being a master at my own home garden.


No comments: