Monday, September 20, 2010

Falling into Fall

The leaves are turning too quickly, and falling even faster.  I haven't had a chance to get out in the woods for my annual Fall photo shoot, but if the weather cooperates I should be able to get to it this week.

Back when I was a young girl my older sister used to take me out every Fall to collect pretty leaves, and then we would find the biggest, heaviest, musty old books in our parents collection and fill the pages with the most vibrant hues of orange, yellow and red that we wanted to press and save.  I imagine if you flipped through some of the books we used so many years ago you would still have a few flutter out at you.

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.  There's just something about the abrupt change in weather, the variety of temperatures from frost in the morning to warmth in the afternoon and back into chilly evenings, and the first night sleeping in flannel jammies that just makes me smile.  I'm making lists of things to do with Riley before it snows; heading out to the pumpkin patch, decorating our front porch with scary ghouls and spiders for trick or treaters to enjoy, and deciding what theme he wants for his birthday as he is an October baby.

We have had threats of freezing weather at night that haven't happened yet, lucky me.  I know that I need to get in my garden and harvest the last of the temperate vegetables, herbs, and flowers, but I haven't succombed to the fear of losing it all yet.  I know one of these mornings I will wake up, look out my bedroom window, and see the telltale gleam of frost over all the things that took so long to grow. It's such a marked transition; from cursing the heat and wishing for cooler weather, to knowing that with one fell swoop of Mother Nature all the weeding and watering is done for the year, and we can all rest until Spring arrives once more.

This week there will be the pungent aroma of onions as they are diced and put away to freeze, carrots being shredded for bread and cake, and herbs hung everywhere to dry where the cats can't quite reach them.  My recipe file is bursting with stews and warm cheesy biscuits and apple dumplings to be made.  And soon we will need to go shopping for new winter boots.

Ahh, Fall.  You are so very welcome once again.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

You are such a gifted writer! You make me feel warm and & cozy. We already switched to flannel sheets. Pure bliss. But, it's hard to get out of bed. I love sleeping and cooking in the coolness of Fall.