Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Changing Seasons

Spring brings new life and fresh grass and too long ago felt warm breezes.  Summer's unending heat and humidity make us wish for the wind's direction to change and bring us relief.  Fall comes and grants the wish in a furious show of blazing shades of crimson and gold, almost too brilliant in their beauty, illuminated by the sun and the shadows around them.  Too soon they become crumpled brown lifeless piles, swept away by rake and wind, their beauty easily forgotten.  Winter keeps us in our cocoons, cloaked in thick coats and blankets to keep out the chill, cursing the short stay of sunshine and the bitter winds that freeze us to the bone. 

Mother Nature can teach us a lot about living our lives.  There is despair and cold, followed by hope and warmth.  There is annoyance and responsibilities and fear, followed by casting aside what has kept us in hiding and lifting our faces to the sky and the sunshine once again.  And thanking God that we continue to make it through each day, no matter what it may bring.

Today I am lifting my own face to the sky, thanking Him and every brave and selfless person who has cared enough and loved me enough to see me through it all.  No matter the storm, I can weather it.  Whatever I have lost or gained, given up or given in to, I have made it through every possible and unexpected storm and created a loving home for my son that no wind or rain, no contempt or jealousy, can tear down.  We will share every season together, loving each other fiercely, growing up together happily, and knowing that we are all the family we will ever need.

4 comments:

Kristi Pohl said...

Amen, sister!

Rachelle said...

Okay, this just gave me shivers! You are a very talented writer, my dear. The way you weave words together... I'm in awe.

Rachelle said...

P.S. I love the little trees on the top of your page. Cute.

Anonymous said...

My oldest turned 10 this year. I can totally relate--he is intuitive, sensitive and still likes to snuggle. LOVE that! Well done.