Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tennessee Flat Top Box

Riley has been wanting to take guitar lessons for some time now. From the day he was born, the kid has always had rhythm, whether he was rocking in his car seat or singing along with me to Journey. I hesitated to make the investment until I figured he had some grasp of music in general. I was dumbfounded this year when he came home with music homework and knew all the notes, staffs, beebops and willyjiggles. I never was much into the whole music thing, can you tell? I will listen to it, download it, rock out at a concert, but don't ask me to tell you what a key is, unless it unlocks my door.

When Riley presented me with a ripped up sheet of paper that he had written a song for me on, I knew it was time. Last week we went to our local music store, Overbeeks, signed him up for six weeks of classes, and picked out this gem. I knew he would pick this color. Perhaps because it matched his eyes?

Ever since the highly addictive video game came out that transformed many of us from air guitarists to heroes, this kid has loved to play. I had to remind him that a real wood guitar with a tiny little pick would be just a bit different, but he doesn't seem to be having any trouble at all.


It helps if you have the corresponding attire to go with your whole rocker theme.

I had no idea the selection of colors they had for just a basic junior guitar. I can't wait until he wants an electric guitar with all the flames, ting tangs, and jimmytiggles.

For now he has to practice every night. He has mastered the first string, and I will be bringing him back for his second lesson this afternoon. My nephew has also enrolled in guitar lessons, and I can't wait for the two of them to get together and jam out. Then maybe us moms will get the TV back so we can drink some wine and watch a good chick flick.

Watch out Keith, our kids are pretty talented!


1 comment:

Kristi Pohl said...

LOVE IT!!!! They can swap guitars when you guys come down, and try out each others. Did you have a chick flick in mind????