Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm Back, Baby!

I know, it's been forever. I have been in a huge funk. Apparently all I needed to come out of it was to put up the Christmas tree, do some snow sledding, and eat about ten frosted sugar cookies. I'm all better now. And I'll be even better after I make a batch of divinity.

Thank God I go to the gym every day.

Riley and I have been anxiously awaiting enough snow to go sledding this past month, and we finally got just about enough this past weekend, with more coming this week. Yay!

This weekend we decorated my Mom's house for Christmas and made our first batch of sugar cookies. We always have to make two so we can eat one batch now and then make another batch that can be "fresh" for Christmas Eve, when we traditionally all get together and celebrate. I am also invited to my brother's this year for Christmas Day, and that should be fun. Some appetizers, a little poker, playing with my niece and nephew. I'm a lucky girl.

I get to celebrate Christmas in St. Paul with my sister this coming weekend, and I am taking my mom with for the ride, and to shovel us out if we should have to drive in a blizzard. Just kidding, Mom. We haven't been together at Christmas (or Thanksgiving) for almost ten years since they own A.C.E.S at the Mall of America and are always too successful to be able to get away from the shop and drive home for the holidays. It will be so much fun to see her house all decorated, her gorgeous window boxes, and share some cheer. I can't wait.

Christmas for me this year feels like a new awakening. I barely remember last year, except for the pain of wondering what I would be doing this year, not knowing if my marriage and our little family would still be intact, hoping that I would be able to decorate my new house for the holidays and bake in my new kitchen. It was truly a miserable holiday season. I remember hugging Riley while we snuggled next to our two foot Christmas tree with paper ornaments he had made to decorate it, and crying my eyes out with worry and sadness.

Nothing worked out how I had hoped, and my ex has already found himself a new family to celebrate with, but I have to say that living with my parents and doing all the holiday things at their house is pretty darn good too. Riley and I have strung lights in our bedroom, the stockings are hung by the chimney with care, and St. Nicholas will surely know where to find us. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Heather, what a beautiful picture you paint of the transitions your life has taken over the last year. Sadness aside, you have a bright future ahead of you and Riley is truly blessed to have such a wonderful, strong mother beside him every step of the way. May you continue to find peace this season and may you also continue to grow and discover the wonder of YOU in the months and years ahead. Many many blessings and lots of love from Georgia. -v.