Monday, September 8, 2008

Sure signs, and bacon

It almost froze last night.

My dad and I were scrambling to figure out if we should cover the hundreds of tomatoes that are finally starting to ripen. Turns out we didn't have to, but criminy, isn't it too early to have to worry about that?

I used some of the tomatoes to make a BLT pizza. You've never had it, you say? Well here's how I make it.

BLT Pizza

Buy a prebaked pizza crust or make one from a mix. You could also buy a frozen cheese pizza and use that.

Cook and chop up some bacon, however much you want.

Place the bacon on the crust and top with shredded cheese of your choice.

Bake until golden and bubbly. Let the pizza cool slightly enough so the cheese starts to tighten up, and then spread mayo over the top. Scatter with shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Yum.

It was certainly hard to get out of bed this morning. Fall is the time when you just don't want to get out from under the warm blanket. I dug out my slippers and afghan last night and cuddled in my comfy chair to watch TV. It's such a change from a week ago when we each had to have our own fan blowing on us (my parents don't have air conditioning. I don't know why.)

My mom brought home the first of the pumpkin donuts they had at the grocery store. I made a double batch of zucchini bread and we had tater tot hotdish for dinner. All sure signs of Fall. The deer are all over the yard eating the acorns that are falling from the trees, and some of the leaves are turning.

I plan to enjoy the fall weather as long at it lasts, and sometimes that can only be a few weeks before we get snow, and all the beauty is gone until next year. This year I am going to take Riley to the pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect jack-o- lantern and have sliced apples with caramel and fresh whipped cream at the cafe they have on site. We are going to go on walks through the woods and bundle up and sit outside looking up at the stars. Fall is my favorite season.

No comments: