Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Third Grader

Rileyben.

I have to say it was easier this year. To drop you off at school on the first day and not feel like it was ripping my heart out. There were no tears like the first few years, when I couldn't believe you were old enough to be carrying a backpack and walking to your class by yourself. I still think you're growing way too fast, but you've got it all figured out. Just don't be 16 quite yet, okay?

You're girlfriend is in your class this year, along with 14 other girls. You will love it. It's going to be interesting guiding you in how to treat her right, even though 8 is a little early to learn such things. But it will be some of the most important lessons I can teach you, to respect someone and care for them and not let them down.

As our tradition goes, you got to pick where we ate out after school, and you chose to have cheeseburgers and fries. That's my boy. You were a bit tired and crabby, so we went home and cuddled and you fell asleep fast.

I love to watch you when you are asleep. I can tell when it's okay to sneak away when your eyes are halfway open and your mouth is set in just a certain way. I always kiss you on that special spot on your forehead and give you an extra tuck.

We are just getting used to seeing each other every other week, and you are being so brave. I am glad we are getting past the desperate days when you are confused and don't know what to do. I will always be here to help you, honey.

No comments: