Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Life Skills

Cuddling with my boy last night before he had to go to bed, I was thinking of all the things I want to teach him. There are so many things that kids can learn to do at an early stage, that will help them get through life each day, a little easier.

Growing up I always groaned at the chores I had to do, washing the dishes, weeding the garden, mowing the lawn. But you know what? I know how to do those things now. I don't have to hire a gardener. I know how to change a flat tire. And I can fold some mean laundry.

Instead of complaining about how tough my childhood was and all the things I had to do, today, at least, I will be thankful that I had to do those things, because they help me get through each day. And now I can teach them to my own son.

Many of these things aren't taught in school, at least not anymore. Basic life skills are so important, and parents should take on the responsibility of teaching their kids everything they can before they leave the nest. It's just the right thing to do.

So, here is my list of the things I think are important to teach your kids along the way. Some are tedious, some are fun. Believe me, they WILL appreciate it someday.

Cook and bake
Sew (buttons, hems, etc.)
Wash dishes
Clean a house, toilets and all
Mow the lawn, push or rider
Take care of a pet
Play cards
Change a flat tire
Grow a garden
Make a bed
Ride a bike
Play sports
Use a camera
Do laundry/iron
Make coffee
Paint a room
Drive a car
Wrap a gift
Defend themselves safely
Manage money
Make an omelet
Grill
Change wiper blades
Proper etiquette/table manners
Use hand/power tools
Write a resume/cover letter
Write a thank you note
Make Valentines
Ace a job interview
Dress appropriately for certain occasions
Clip coupons
Surf the internet safely
Be respectful, loyal, and honest

If you have any ideas that you think are essential, please share them with me. Just click on "Comments" at the bottom of my post. I look forward to your thoughts.

No comments: